Quiet Waters

Talk about hostas, hostas, and more hostas! Companion plant topics should be posted in the Shade Garden forum.

Moderators: ViolaAnn, Chris_W, redcrx

Postby thy » Dec 06, 2007 9:20 pm

Sorry.... Roger Waters would fit better....
:lol: Name or no name ... I WOULD LOVE TO HAVE IT IN MY GARDEN :D
Against stupidity the gods themselves struggle in vain.
E-mail for pics hostapics@gmail.com
thy

USDA Zone: 7

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby hagranger » Dec 07, 2007 2:52 am

It's definitely one that needs to be in everybody's garden and I sure hope Lynn has me on the list!
I do like the idea of a 'Lynndragon' ... sort of playing off the Pendragon idea.
But then again ... dragon's are special!
Helen
A day without laughter AND gardening is a day wasted ... oh ... and be kind to your children ... they will choose your nursing home!
hagranger

Postby ladyblue » Dec 08, 2007 5:04 pm

Lynn,
This one is very different and special! Congratulations to you!! I love it!!:D
Bonnie
ladyblue

USDA Zone: 5B

Postby toymr2mk2 » Dec 08, 2007 9:21 pm

Lynn,
That's a beautiful name for a beautiful plant. It is one of the most if not the most distinct hosta I have ever seen. Really does grab your attention! I definately will be standing in line if it is ever introduced. Congrats!
Art
toymr2mk2

Postby yardmom » Dec 10, 2007 9:14 pm

Can you post a picture of the whole plant? I would love to see it! Has it settled into a pattern yet?
yardmom

Postby Chris_W » Dec 11, 2007 1:40 pm

Hi Yardmom,

I think the second picture is the whole plant. The pattern (so far) looks fairly stable :)
Chris_W
Administrator

USDA Zone: 5

Postby Lessadragon » Dec 11, 2007 3:48 pm

Hi all,

WOW... nice comments. I'm glad you all like my little plant so much. :D Let me see if I can answer some of your questions.

Chris is correct Yardmom. The second pic is of the whole plant. Although it has been slow to make divisions, the single eye keeps getting bigger every year. The first winter of this plant's life, there was a problem with the whole batch of seedlings that this one came from...all lovely streaked babies...They inadvertently got waterlogged and froze that way and this was the only seedling that made it through. Needless to say, I was thrilled because it was my favourite of all of them. So, even though it is slow, I know that it is tough.

This is a seedling from a streaked pod out of Aurora Borealis. Because it has good fertility in it's background, I am hoping that it will continue in this generation. (I am aware that that is not always the case though) Whatever the case, I am sure that I will enjoy playing with this hosta until and even after I introduce it to the world. This little gem is certainly worth sharing!

Thank you everyone for your support and patience in waiting with me. One thing is for sure... you will all know what happens with this one before anyone else. :D

Lynn
Lessadragon

USDA Zone: 5b

Postby Spider » Dec 11, 2007 5:58 pm

:) be sure and protect this baby for the winter, we all want a piece. :D How many winters has it seen so far? Which photo is more true to color? My guess would be the first one, the second looks a bit blue all over. :)
Spider's Hosta List There are photos there too :)

"I gotta have more cowbell!" SNL

"If your gecko is broken you have a reptile dysfunction."

"If you don't talk to your cat about catnip...who will?"
Spider

USDA Zone: 9A

Postby Lessadragon » Dec 11, 2007 8:31 pm

Spider, this is the 4th winter. And you are right. The plant is green and white. There is no blue at all. I think this might be a tet as well as the leaves are so thick, like leather. The pics don't show this plant off well at all. It is so much prettier in person. If I were any kind of photographer, I would be able to show you, but c'est la vie. :roll: :lol:

Lynn
Lessadragon

Postby Spider » Dec 11, 2007 9:03 pm

I'm excited. :)
Spider's Hosta List There are photos there too :)

"I gotta have more cowbell!" SNL

"If your gecko is broken you have a reptile dysfunction."

"If you don't talk to your cat about catnip...who will?"
Spider

USDA Zone: 9A

Postby Linda P » Dec 12, 2007 8:42 am

Lynn, if the plant is nicer in person than in your pic, I don't think my heart could stand it. :lol:
Linda P
And time remembered is grief forgotten,
And frosts are slain and flowers begotten.....
Algernon Charles Swinburne

Latitude: 41° 51' 12.1572"

My Hosta List
Linda P

Postby DryGulch » Dec 12, 2007 9:08 pm

Yeah, I think Quiet Waters is too quiet also...maybe:

White Water Rafting or Wild River
DryGulch

Postby sugar » Dec 13, 2007 2:02 pm

Lessadragon wrote:Spider, this is the 4th winter. And you are right. The plant is green and white. There is no blue at all. I think this might be a tet as well as the leaves are so thick, like leather. The pics don't show this plant off well at all. It is so much prettier in person. If I were any kind of photographer, I would be able to show you, but c'est la vie. :roll: :lol:

Lynn

Send it over to my place, I will make a special effort to give you a Picture that says more than 1000 words :bd:

sugar
sugar

Postby Lessadragon » Dec 13, 2007 5:28 pm

There is no doubt in my mind that you could make this hosta explode onto the screen. Your skills in the photography department are most wonderful!!! However, I think it would be easier for you to come to the hosta instead. We do have room for you here if you decide to come for a visit. :D Thanks for the offer though. :lol:

Lynn
Lessadragon

Postby hummingbird » Dec 13, 2007 9:26 pm

Absolutely breathtaking Lynn, I'm in awe. First time I'm back here at the forum since spring and I see this WOW! Thanks for the highlight to my day. :o 8-)
"Friends are as elusive as rainbows"
hummingbird

USDA Zone: 9b

Postby lovem » Dec 18, 2007 10:32 pm

Hi Lynn
i must be the last one on the forum to read this post! that is a spectacular plant. it would be great if it can be cloned. good luck Bryan
lovem

Postby FreakyCola » Jan 06, 2008 1:16 am

Hi Lynne, I just want to add how gorgeous I think that hosta is! It is sooooooo pretty! Be sure and add my name to your list and of course, if you need a test garden in Indiana my yard is your yard! :D :D :D
FreakyCola

USDA Zone: 5

Re: Quiet Waters

Postby thy » Jun 20, 2009 6:04 pm

Hej Lynn

Can we have an up date :wink:
Against stupidity the gods themselves struggle in vain.
E-mail for pics hostapics@gmail.com
thy

USDA Zone: 7

Postby ms kitty » Jun 20, 2009 7:00 pm

That is one awesome Hosta. Love it. I'd buy it in a heartbeat.But I don't collect Hostas. LOL. Ms Kitty
ms kitty

USDA Zone: 4

Postby ViolaAnn » Jun 20, 2009 8:52 pm

Awe Gee! When I got the message that there was a new message here, I thought maybe Lynn had posted an update. I'd also really like to know how it is doing.

Ann

PS to Lynn - all the hostas I got from you a couple of years ago are doing well.
Ann
Pictures of Ann's Hostas:
http://violaann.smugmug.com/Garden/Host ... 361_qL3gHS (SmugMug gallery now updated for 2016)
ViolaAnn

USDA Zone: 5a

PreviousNext

Return to Hosta Forum