Nurseries in NC or SC

Talk about hostas, hostas, and more hostas! Companion plant topics should be posted in the Shade Garden forum.

Moderators: ViolaAnn, Chris_W

Nurseries in NC or SC

Postby hostasandpapillons » Sep 03, 2008 8:08 pm

Hey all,
I will be traveling around the Carolina's week after next, and wondered what nice nurseries anyone highly recommends we check out. Every year I went to Jones' Nursery, but they're retiring, so I'll need to find a new favorite.
Thanks for all your suggestions!
hostasandpapillons

USDA Zone: 5

Nurseries in NC or SC

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: Nurseries in NC or SC

Postby jobranch » Sep 03, 2008 9:27 pm

I have relatives in Spartanburg, SC and visited Chuck Plemmons Perennials and was very impressed by his selection of hosta, his catalog lists 250-300 varieties. They were in good shape - this was about two weeks ago. Website is http://www.hostaman.com - has a map. I got two: H. Robert Frost and H. Stained Glass.
jobranch

USDA Zone: 7B

Postby KellieD » Sep 04, 2008 9:34 am

Plant Delights nursery will be having their Garden Open House in the time frame that you are there. Think high quality unusual stuff.
Every day a new adventure!
KellieD

Postby Chris_W » Sep 04, 2008 10:00 am

Bob Solberg's Green Hill Farm is in Chapel Hill, but you will have missed his fall open house :(
Chris_W
Administrator

USDA Zone: 5

Postby Minnow » Sep 04, 2008 1:19 pm

Where in North Carolina? Dh & I will be a Plant Delights on either Friday the 12th or Saturday the 13th of September! It would be well worth your time to stop & take the tour. Although the hosta are way past there peak, all of the tropicals are at their peak.

Here is alink for you! :P http://www.plantdelights.com/About/openhouse.html

Elizabeth

No man needs a vacation as bad as the man who has just had one.
Minnow

Location: Henderson County 35 19' 12.15" N 82 35' 40.40" W Elevation2143
USDA Zone: 6

Postby putnamgardens » Sep 07, 2008 8:52 am

Is Levita Powell still in business? I did hear that Hickory Hills Farm is no longer. Recently when someone asked where to buy hostas in New Jersey, I e-mailed my friends in Bonton. They replied by saying they drive twice a year to N. Carolina cuz the East Coast doesn't have any hosta hot spots. I'll see if our thread missed any of the suggested spots. We had a family that moved from MN (Global gardens) to N. Carolina. Greg and Trish Rux. They have a hosta business in N. Carolina too. I did a Dogpile search and came up with this page. Lotsa spots are listed. ENJOY...I wish I was going hosta hunting. Later, Love, Lisa
http://www.carolinahosta.org/?page_id=12
Have I mentioned lately that my drinking team has a hosta problem?
putnamgardens

Return to Hosta Forum