Lancifolia or cathayana

Talk about hostas, hostas, and more hostas! Companion plant topics should be posted in the Shade Garden forum.

Moderators: ViolaAnn, Chris_W, redcrx

Lancifolia or cathayana

Postby Pieter » Sep 22, 2008 11:15 pm

We were given a NOID Hosta this spring and it was thought at the time the most likely candidate for ID was 'Lancifolia' but now that the flowers have opened up if looks more like cathayana as it strikes me the flowers are too dark to be 'Lancifolia'.

What say you?

Pieter

"Never trust anyone who doesn't have dog hair on their clothes."

Pieter's Hosta List
Pieter

Lancifolia or cathayana

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: Lancifolia or cathayana

Postby steg » Sep 23, 2008 12:25 pm

This is what we have for Lancifolia. It does appear to be a little lighter shade of purple compared to yours.

Good luck.

Mike
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
steg

USDA Zone: 5

Postby Pieter » Sep 23, 2008 1:03 pm

Thanks Mike. Yours is quite a bit lighter than mine and all of the pictures of Lancifolia flowers I see in the Hosta Library are similarly quite a bit lighter than what I see on mine. From what I gather Lancifolia is not fertile, have you had seeds or more important, seedlings from yours?
Pieter

Pieter's Hosta List
Pieter

Postby steg » Sep 23, 2008 1:16 pm

I can't recall any seed pods on these. I will try to watch for them but again, don't recall ever seeing any. I'll take another look this afternoon for some from the earlier bloomers.

HOWEVER, my 2 yr old daughter likes to pick the flowers for Mommie. I was lucky to get this pic this morning. Between her and the animals around here it's tough to keep things from being picked over.
steg

Postby Chris_W » Sep 23, 2008 3:19 pm

This does seem a bit too dark for lancifolia, but flower color can change slightly depending on moisture, temperature, and soil conditions. The reason I mention this is that I have Chinese Sunrise and lancifolia growing almost side by side in the garden, and the flowers on each are identical. They bloom at the same time and have the exact same height, shape, and color. Chinese Sunrise is supposed to be a sport of H. cathayana, so its flowers should be the same too. However neither Chinese Sunrise nor lancifolia have a single seed pod among them here (huge clumps and many plants of each by the way).

Now, every reference I see states that cathayana is very fertile. So if Chinese Sunrise is really from that plant, shouldn't it be very fertile too? Makes me wonder if Chinese Sunrise isn't really from lancifolia...

Not sure how that helps you, but I would say if your plant develops seed pods you probably have cathayana.
Chris_W
Administrator

Postby Pieter » Sep 23, 2008 5:39 pm

Thanks Chris. It's too early to tell if I'll see pod development and I'll take a look at my Chinese Sunrise tonight, it was a mid-season acquisition however and I'd be surprised if I see flowers on it this year, but you never know.
Pieter

Pieter's Hosta List
Pieter

Postby Pieter » Sep 23, 2008 10:22 pm

Well, I had a look at my Chinese Sunrise and I saw there were dried stumps of scapes, so quite obviously is has flowered already. Problem is I cannot recall when they flowered or whether perhaps they were done already when I received them the first week of July. So, I'm no wiser. I'll have to make a point of keeping these two closer together next year so I can observe them better during their flowering period when they're a little better established. All I can do now is wait and see if any seedpods develop...
Pieter

Pieter's Hosta List
Pieter

Postby Pieter » Sep 28, 2008 9:28 am

It may not be the sharpest picture, but it gets the idea across. And I think I have the answer I was looking for, my bet's on cathayana!

Pieter

Pieter's Hosta List
Pieter

Postby Pieter » Sep 28, 2008 10:27 pm

And I think I have the answer I was looking for, my bet's on cathayana!

Not so fast there big boy! I took a closer look at the pot the largest one is in and I couldn't help but notice there are four new offsets jammed up against the edge of the pot, seemingly indicating a rhizomatous growth habit -been fooled by that appearance before though- something that's more in line with what you would see with clausa var. normalis, whose flowers are described as 'dark lavender' not unlike what we see here. The offsets are kinda hard to see in this picture, but I've tried to make it easier to spot the new growth with the addition of white triangles to serve as arrows. Obviously I'm not going to unpot the plant this late in the season to get an up close look at the roots and crown, that'll wait until spring.

Pieter

Pieter's Hosta List
Pieter

Postby DBoweMD » Sep 29, 2008 10:46 am

Clausa Normalis makes sense. I see pink in the flower bases on your first pic.
DBoweMD

Postby ckp » Sep 29, 2008 3:08 pm

I never noticed pods on my Lancefolia but have had a few seedlings over the years. This was in a spot that had only Lancefolias.
Charlene
Charlene
ckp

Postby Pieter » Sep 29, 2008 3:37 pm

ckp wrote:This was in a spot that had only Lancefolias.

...and that begs the question, are they really Lancifolia, misidentification/mislabeling are all too commonplace. Do have any pictures, preferably with the plants in bloom?
Pieter

Pieter's Hosta List
Pieter

Postby ckp » Sep 29, 2008 4:02 pm

I live in the dark ages and still use a camera with film.I picked a bloom just now and it has a light red cast, more like the top pic but not quite as dark. My original plant was give to me 30 year ago by a neighbor that didn't think names were necessary. It multiplied rapidly, not by stolons. that's' about it. Now I have to figure out what my plant is. Charlene
Charlene
ckp

Postby Pieter » Sep 29, 2008 4:29 pm

Charlene, film cameras are better than no cameras... :wink:

Have a look at the flowers shown on the Hosta Library for Lancifolia, could well be what you have is in fact cathayana but unfortunately there are no flowers shown for that one, only for Lancifolia.
Pieter

Pieter's Hosta List
Pieter

Return to Hosta Forum