Point of interest

Talk about hostas, hostas, and more hostas! Companion plant topics should be posted in the Shade Garden forum.

Moderators: ViolaAnn, Chris_W, redcrx

Point of interest

Postby redcrx » May 22, 2011 7:30 am

I had posted some pictures last season of a yellow sport coming off Royal Tiara:
http://www.perennialnursery.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=53383&p=465550&hilit=royal+tiara#p465550
I thought it would be interesting to see it in its new location - my Tiara Area - to see the leaf size difference.
That's an Encore Azalea Sunset at the top of the frame.
Royal Tiara yellow sport & others 11 0920.JPG
Royal Tiara yellow sport 11 0921.JPG
Gold Egder & RTys 11 0922.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Ed McHugh, Sicklerville NJ
ImageMockingbird feeding juvenile yellow raisons - never leave home without them.
redcrx

USDA Zone: 6b

Point of interest

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: Point of interest

Postby jgh » May 22, 2011 8:57 am

Interesting... particularly with the controversy around the origin of Royal Tiara. Originally described as a sport from Jade Scepter, then registered as a sport from Golden Tiara - and Zilis suggests the real parent is more likely to be Gold Edger.

This guy pretty clearly isn't resembling the nearby tiara or Gold Edger. The size of the leaves makes it pretty unlike either family...

I'm wondering - did you actually have to cut this off the main crown of the Royal Tiara. I've had some solids I've found in clumps that, upon examination, turned out to be seedlings growing in the mass of another hosta.
jgh

Postby redcrx » May 22, 2011 2:44 pm

There is no clump. It's just a small string of eyes. In the original sequence of photos you can see some large green leaves with a small white streak - that is another eye. I took off the all green but couldn't get that second eye and still have enough roots for the remainder of the Royal Tiara.
Here are some shots today of the original plant showing it is still throwing off solid sports.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ImageMockingbird feeding juvenile yellow raisons - never leave home without them.
redcrx

Postby viktoria » May 23, 2011 6:23 am

'Royal Tiara' is not a Tiara (leaf backs not shiny). It readily puts off larger, yellow (chartreuse) divisions. Mark Zilis named this form 'Royal Charm'. Check your Hostapedia for details.

Viktoria
Many a great tune has been played on an older fiddle.
viktoria

Postby redcrx » May 23, 2011 8:55 am

And here I thought it was Paradise Goldheart :lol: :lol:

"Raskolnikov, have to erase whole page" - Boris Badenov in Rocky and Bullwinkle.

Thanks Viktoria.
redcrx

Postby jgh » May 23, 2011 2:46 pm

yeah... I can see I was thrown off by the perspective... the Amber Tiara is far enough away that I thought this was a much larger leaf than it is...
jgh

Postby redcrx » May 23, 2011 5:39 pm

Some pictures for size. The leaves are a lot bigger than it was when I separated the plants last year. It's about 4 inches across and 5 inches long.
redcrx

Postby jgh » May 24, 2011 10:26 am

OK - back to my original thoughts on this one, then... good reason for not naming things based on a belief in "reversion." Even though Royal Tiara is (probably) a tc sport from Gold Edger, this gold sport from RT sure as heck doesn't seem to be Gold Edger with leaves that big.
jgh

Postby redcrx » Jun 01, 2011 12:07 pm

The Royal Tiara sport has a flower spike. The Gold Edger has two. None of the tiaras in that space have any. There is another in there with spikes - Sun Drop - at least that is what it came in as (it was a gift). It looks more like Gold Drop.
I'll get pictures - the spike is huge compared to Gold Edger. I just hope the rabbits or other creatures don't take an interest in it.
redcrx

Postby redcrx » Jul 07, 2011 5:49 pm

Well I'm finally getting around to this. The rabbits didn't eat them. Biggest difference is the purple anthers.
redcrx

Postby redcrx » Aug 16, 2011 9:21 pm

Just an update on this - it was going to flower again but the rabbits took the scape off.
redcrx

Postby redcrx » Jul 11, 2015 4:12 am

Just got a photo of this plant yesterday - it's dwarfing all the little guys around it.
Royal Tiara yellow sport with Gold Edger on the left:
Royal Tiara yellow sport 15 02844.JPG

Royal Tiara yellow sport 15 02845.JPG

Royal Tiara yellow sport 15 02846.JPG

Royal Tiara yellow sport 15 02848.JPG

And seed pods:
Royal Tiara yellow sport 15 02849.JPG
redcrx

Return to Hosta Forum