Winter Vision vs Paradigm

Talk about hostas, hostas, and more hostas! Companion plant topics should be posted in the Shade Garden forum.

Moderators: ViolaAnn, Chris_W, redcrx

Postby Linda P » Aug 07, 2011 7:02 pm

I have been wondering about this for some time, and been wanting to get some pics. Mark Zilis says in his Hostapedia that Winter Vision, which is listed as a sport of Blue Vision, is most likely not that at all, but is just Paradigm. I have a Winter Vision that I got as a small liner in 2006 from Jimmy MacBurney. It's been a rather slow grower, but for the last couple of years I've been thinking that, while it has similarities to Paradigm, it has some differences.
Today I took some pics. Let me know what you think.

Here's Paradigm:

Paradigm Aug 7 2011.JPG

Here's Winter Vision:

Winter Vision Aug 7 2011.JPG

And here's a leaf of each side by side:

Winter Vision and Paradigm leaves Aug 7 2011.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
And time remembered is grief forgotten,
And frosts are slain and flowers begotten.....
Algernon Charles Swinburne

Latitude: 41° 51' 12.1572"

My Hosta List
Linda P

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: Winter Vision vs Paradigm

Postby redcrx » Aug 07, 2011 7:53 pm

Are they in the same area to get the same light?
Ed McHugh, Sicklerville NJ
ImageMockingbird feeding juvenile yellow raisons - never leave home without them.
redcrx

USDA Zone: 6b

Postby Chris_W » Aug 07, 2011 8:26 pm

I don't think I've ever seen Paradigm with that dark of a margin. I'll check my Blue Vision to see the shape of the leaf and the amount of corrugation they have . I don't think they are that dark green nor that corrugated. You will want to compare flower time and bloom characteristics to know for certain.

Unfortunately there are a lot of mixed up plants out there, where people register it thinking it is one thing only to have it turn out to be something totally different.
Chris_W
Administrator

USDA Zone: 5

Postby Linda P » Aug 07, 2011 9:26 pm

Ed, the Paradigm is in more light, but I tried to grab a leaf that was shaded completely on the back side of the plant, under a huge Elatior, for the comparison pic. BTW, in the comparison, Winter Vision is on the right, Paradigm on the left. The Winter Vision leaf has more of a humped look to it, more like the Blue Vision plant I have in my yard. WV also has a very decided blue cast to the green edge, and is way darker and quite a bit wider than the Paradigim leaf. I should have taken a leaf of WV to put in the Paradigm clump as well. I'll try to remember to do that tomorrow.
Chris, I know...there are a bunch of such issues. I meant to compare flowering this year but just didn't get to it. The leaf backs look slightly different. I'll try to do a vein count, ect, tomorrow. I'm not entirely sure the plant I have as Blue Vision is correct, but I'll count and compare with it, too.
I was wondering if perhaps there was a real Winter Vision, and the mix-up came later on? Who knows? I'm still trying to figure out that Polar Moon debacle!
And time remembered is grief forgotten,
And frosts are slain and flowers begotten.....
Algernon Charles Swinburne

Latitude: 41° 51' 12.1572"

My Hosta List
Linda P

Return to Hosta Forum