One Eyed Empress Wu

Talk about hostas, hostas, and more hostas! Companion plant topics should be posted in the Shade Garden forum.

Moderators: ViolaAnn, Chris_W, redcrx

Re: One Eyed Empress Wu

Postby kaylyred » Apr 28, 2013 6:14 pm

Went to my local nursery today (my happy place!) and right in the doorway to their outdoor courtyard they had a cart full of 'Empress Wu.' Each one had two eyes, and they were already pretty well leafed out. I almost bought one, but then remembered that my 'Empress Wu' was three eyes last year and, as it matures, I'm not gonna have room for two of the same beast. ;)
~ Karen

Check out Petiole Junction, my gardening blog!
See my little hosta list
I've also got a garden photo gallery.
kaylyred

USDA Zone: 5a

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby ogrefcf » May 22, 2013 2:43 pm

I think it will be okay. The big eye is huge this year. I think it was just putting down roots and didn't like me moving her. Here's a picture with a surprise in it I didn't notice till I was looking at the picture.

Owen
ogrefcf

USDA Zone: 5-6

Postby kaylyred » May 22, 2013 8:51 pm

Looks good!

Is that a little snake in the groundcover?
~ Karen

Check out Petiole Junction, my gardening blog!
See my little hosta list
I've also got a garden photo gallery.
kaylyred

USDA Zone: 5a

Postby Pieter » Aug 13, 2017 1:07 pm

I recognize this is an older topic but I had to relate my experience with The Empress, she's been a great grower for me. I got two bare-root plants in 2014, one was 3 shoots, the other was one fat one. I kept the 3 shoot one and planted it where it would have some room but that also meant it would be seeing a fair bit of direct sun. Here's what it looked like this past spring, mid-April.
Resize of P1140972_empresswu.JPG

In its 4th season here it has gone to 17 shoots, I'd call that vigour!

Resize of P1140784_empresswu.JPG

If you take a look at this late March picture above you'll see the plant sort falls into 2 sides, a seemingly clear path for division in the spring, I have an acquaintance who's expressed an interest in a larger plant to begin with rather than have to wait 3 or 4 years before it gets to any decent size. The largest leaf this year measured about 18"x14" and it is now loaded with seed pods.

Resize of P1150990_empresswu_pods.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Pieter

"Never trust anyone who doesn't have dog hair on their clothes."

Pieter's Hosta List
Pieter

Previous

Return to Hosta Forum