Hosta of the Day - Red Alert

Talk about hostas, hostas, and more hostas! Companion plant topics should be posted in the Shade Garden forum.

Moderators: ViolaAnn, Chris_W, redcrx

Postby redcrx » Sep 21, 2015 2:57 pm

Red Alert is a hybrid of 'Katsuragawa Beni' with a white edge and red speckles on the petiole and up into the leaf.

Hosta Registry - not registered
MyHostas Database - http://www.myhostas.be/db/hostas/Red+Alert
Hosta Library - http://www.hostalibrary.org/r/redalert.html

There were a couple of previous topics that looked at Red Alert:
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=53412
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=55722

I was getting late flower photos this morning and noticed a couple of plants in a trough had good size flower spikes coming up. I had to check my garden map to see that they were Red Alert.
t57 Red Alert 15 01688.JPG

t57 Red Alert 15 01689.JPG

t57 Red Alert 15 01690.JPG

t57 Red Alert 15 01692.JPG

t57 Red Alert 15 01697.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Ed McHugh, Sicklerville NJ
ImageMockingbird feeding juvenile yellow raisons - never leave home without them.
redcrx

USDA Zone: 6b

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: Hosta of the Day - Red Alert

Postby redcrx » Oct 10, 2015 7:33 am

Red Alert again failed to open its flowers. As mentioned in the two previous topics mentioned above, Red Alert may have a problem with its flowers.

I have two good sized plants in a trough and they developed multiple scapes this season. The smaller scapes disintegrated in late September and earlier this month. The flower head on the best and last started dropping its flowers yesterday. I tore apart a couple bud to see what the coloration looked like.

Here is the biggest on October 3.
Red Alert 15 02021.JPG

Here is the second best one on October 4. It later fell apart.
Red Alert 15 02041.JPG

Here is the biggest one again on October 7 as the buds start to droop.
Red Alert 15 02090.JPG

I opened some of the fallen buds yesterday.
Red Alert 15 f 02109.JPG

I'm going to put one in a front flower bed (with more sun) next season to give it a different environment.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Ed McHugh, Sicklerville NJ
ImageMockingbird feeding juvenile yellow raisons - never leave home without them.
redcrx

USDA Zone: 6b

Re: Hosta of the Day - Red Alert

Postby Chris_W » Oct 11, 2015 9:36 am

I've been watching my Red Alert this month to see if any of their flowers were going to open and none of them have. I'm not sure I would call it a problem, though, as they still seem to last a long time and look pretty even without opening, so I consider it more of a unique oddity :)
Chris_W
Administrator

USDA Zone: 5

Return to Hosta Forum