Hosta of the Day - Lightning Flash

Talk about hostas, hostas, and more hostas! Companion plant topics should be posted in the Shade Garden forum.

Moderators: ViolaAnn, Chris_W, redcrx

Postby redcrx » May 03, 2016 5:57 am

Lightning Flash is an interesting small hosta with grayish rippled leaves that have some light streaky highlights.

Hosta Registry - http://www.hostaregistrar.org/detail.php?id=4105&Variety=Lightning%20Flash
MyHostas Database - http://www.myhostas.be/db/hostas/Lightning+Flash
Hosta Library - not in the Library yet

This is my second season with this hosta. It's planted in my "New Garden" and gets a good deal of sun.
Lightning Flash 16 03997.JPG

Lightning Flash 16 03998.JPG

And some photos from last season:
Lightning Flash 15 02377.JPG

Lightning Flash 15 f 03538.JPG

Lightning Flash 15 f 03554.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Ed McHugh, Sicklerville NJ
ImageMockingbird feeding juvenile yellow raisons - never leave home without them.
redcrx

USDA Zone: 6b

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: Hosta of the Day - Lightning Flash

Postby Tigger » May 03, 2016 10:24 am

Ed,

I got this from Bob last year as well, and did some crosses (but didn't record who the pollen donors were, although I did remove the stamens on the flower I crossed to). Here is a pic of the best of the babies. The two cups on the left are from one pod and the two on the right from another pod; the ones on the left clearly show whiter variegation while the ones on the right are creamy/yellow. The one at lower right is nice, but unfortunately not the leaf shape I was looking for! (I'm hoping for narrow leaves with variegation, with some blue as well.)
Lightning Flash seedlings.jpg

David
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Tigger

USDA Zone: 6b - 7a

Re: Hosta of the Day - Lightning Flash

Postby redcrx » Jul 19, 2017 10:49 am

Lightning Flash today - that's Galaxy in the background on most of these photos.
Lightning Flash 17 2939.jpg

Lightning Flash 17 2940.jpg

Lightning Flash 17 2941.jpg

Lightning Flash 17 f 2942b.jpg

Lightning Flash 17 f 2944b.jpg
Ed McHugh, Sicklerville NJ
ImageMockingbird feeding juvenile yellow raisons - never leave home without them.
redcrx

USDA Zone: 6b

Return to Hosta Forum