Hosta of the Day - Torchlight

Talk about hostas, hostas, and more hostas! Companion plant topics should be posted in the Shade Garden forum.

Moderators: ViolaAnn, Chris_W, redcrx

Postby redcrx » Jul 06, 2016 6:04 am

Torchlight is a plant with dark green leaves with a white margin. The petioles are bright red. the plant has an upright "vase" shape that make the petioles standout.

Hosta Registry - http://www.hostaregistrar.org/detail.php?id=5282&Variety=Torchlight
MyHostas Database - http://www.myhostas.be/db/hostas/Torchlight
Hosta Library - http://www.hostalibrary.org/t/torchlight.html

I just picked up this plant from a nursery I was visiting on my way to the Convention in St. Louis. The red petioles jump out at you when you see this plant. (Sorry my photos don't show-off the petioles.)

Torchlight 16 02125.JPG

Torchlight 16 02127.JPG

Torchlight 16 02129.JPG

Torchlight 16 02130.JPG

The margin can be irregular:
Torchlight 16 02132.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Ed McHugh, Sicklerville NJ
ImageMockingbird feeding juvenile yellow raisons - never leave home without them.
redcrx

USDA Zone: 6b

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: Hosta of the Day - Torchlight

Postby John Shong » Jul 06, 2016 10:29 am

Hosta 'Torchlight' $10.00.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
John Shong

USDA Zone: 3b to 4a

Postby Tigger » Jul 06, 2016 10:59 am

We've had this for eons, maybe 20 years. It's never grown into a big clump, probably due to root competition. It's in a bed now with the very similar Lakeside Zesty Zeno; both look good.

I've never noted off-type leaves like yours, and expect yours will settle down.

David
Tigger

USDA Zone: 6b - 7a

Postby Tigger » Jul 06, 2016 3:41 pm

Ha! Looking at this year's pics, I find this one of our three-clump trio of Torchlights (reconstituted after roots divided them). And there is one notable off-type leaf. I guess I never noticed.

David
Tigger

USDA Zone: 6b - 7a

Postby redcrx » Jul 06, 2016 6:37 pm

Yeah, I was looking at John's photo and it has a couple of "odd" leaves also. Maybe I shouldn't say "odd" maybe that's just the way this plant is.
ImageMockingbird feeding juvenile yellow raisons - never leave home without them.
redcrx

Postby John Shong » Jul 07, 2016 9:04 am

Hi David and Ed. I have 2 versions of 'Torchlight'. The one pictured was labeled 'Torchlight' streaked when I obtained it. It is not really what I consider a streaked plant. But most of the leaves tend to be odd like you say. The other 'Torchlight' ... purchased at the same place at the same time ... looks like the pics you posted. Could not find a pic. Pic below is another of the "odd" ones.
John Shong

USDA Zone: 3b to 4a

Postby redcrx » Jul 24, 2017 11:02 am

There's always something different. I notice some minor chartreuse streaks while looking at the "odd" leaf's back. I didn't notice it on the front side.
Torchlight 17 3114.jpg

Torchlight 17 3115b.jpg

Torchlight 17 3116b.jpg

Torchlight 17 3117b.jpg

The chartreuse shows-up here
Torchlight 17 3119b.jpg
redcrx

Return to Hosta Forum