Hosta Declining Near Kousa Dogwoods

Talk about hostas, hostas, and more hostas! Companion plant topics should be posted in the Shade Garden forum.

Moderators: ViolaAnn, Chris_W, redcrx

Postby harryshoe » Nov 09, 2016 2:32 pm

Most of my hosta are hardy and vigorous. However, I have a few that are declining rapidly and are in beds centered around Kousa Dogwoods. Kousa dogwoods are also known as Korean Dogwoods and are distinctly different from our American Dogwoods.

It is not just some, but all of the hosta in the vicinity of the dogwoods are in trouble. Can this be coincidence?

Has anyone ever heard of a troubled relationship between hosta and these small trees?

Thanks
Harry
harryshoe

USDA Zone: 6 E. PA

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: Hosta Declining Near Kousa Dogwoods

Postby Chris_W » Nov 09, 2016 4:15 pm

It could be possible that those plants are a little more water stressed through the summer so they dry out faster in the fall. It all depends on the root system from the small tree. If they are starting to take over the soil then those hostas will likely decline.

But it will also depend on other factors. Sometimes frost and wind patterns will develop in different spots and different directions. And some cultivars turn to mush a LOT faster than other varieties. Right now I am taking inventory and some hostas are completely gone while another type is pristine looking - even those different varieties right next to each other.

I wouldn't worry unless you see a decline next year. If that happens you might need to rescue them to a better spot.

Hope that helps!

Chris
Chris_W
Administrator

USDA Zone: 5

Postby kHT » Nov 10, 2016 9:56 am

I totally agree with Chris, we are seeing the same with pines here. So we have replaced the hostas with Hellebors and put the
hostas away from the roots of the pines where they are thriving. I know the ones around the dogwoods here, not the type you
asked about do better if they are a few feet away from the roots. Best of luck.
karma 'Happy Toes' (kHT)
The Goddess is Alive and Magic is Afoot!!!!
I'm just a simple housewife.
kHT

USDA Zone: 7-8 Z-nial

Postby harryshoe » Nov 10, 2016 12:30 pm

Thanks.

I will let them go another year.

Harry
harryshoe

USDA Zone: 6 E. PA

Return to Hosta Forum