Happy Hosta New Year!

Talk about hostas, hostas, and more hostas! Companion plant topics should be posted in the Shade Garden forum.

Moderators: ViolaAnn, Chris_W, redcrx

Happy Hosta New Year!

Postby Chris_W » Jan 01, 2017 1:38 am

After having back surgery just before Thanksgiving and feeling about 80% better I will have something to seriously be thankful for in the coming new year - some strength back in my left leg! Because it will make my job even more fun in the summer :)

Here I was last summer, propagating a single clump of Key Lime Pie. We had to get out the wheelbarrow for this one:

Key-Lime-Pie-wheelbarrow.jpg

And after, I know they don't look like much right away, we got 31, 4 quart pots planted from that one clump. The clump was the 2nd to last plant left after being lined out in 2008 as a tissue culture plant, so it grew 8 years from a TC to get to 31 nice sized divisions, and many of those were multiple eyes going into the pots and had a lot of eyes when they went back into the ground a couple months later.

Key-Lime-Pie-divisions.jpg

This year I will be looking forward to being able to do this a lot easier. I hope your new year will be a great one too :)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Chris_W
Administrator

USDA Zone: 5

Happy Hosta New Year!

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: Happy Hosta New Year!

Postby kHT » Jan 01, 2017 11:04 am

Chris, those look great!! Hope you are on the mend and able to put your back into your work. :wink:
karma 'Happy Toes' (kHT)
The Goddess is Alive and Magic is Afoot!!!!
I'm just a simple housewife.
kHT

USDA Zone: 7-8 Z-nial

Postby LucyGoose » Jan 16, 2017 9:57 pm

:beer: Wow, that is one big clump!

I am thinking 2017 will be great!!
LucyGoose

Postby felco2 » Jan 20, 2017 10:19 am

Happy New Year, Chris. I have 4 bad discs so I sympathize. So far gardening seems to help more than hurt providing I lift correctly. Take it slowly.
Felco2
The best views of the garden come from working on one's knees. The pause from working when you can drink it all in.
felco2

USDA Zone: 6

Return to Hosta Forum