Question about Hosta 'Oshima Silk' parentage

Talk about hostas, hostas, and more hostas! Companion plant topics should be posted in the Shade Garden forum.

Moderators: ViolaAnn, Chris_W, redcrx

Postby waldo » Jun 25, 2017 10:04 am

Chris, I am sorry for the delay but when talking about "Oshima Silk" you said "long story about that one, but the plant tissue cultured and sold as Oshima Silk wasn't the same plant that was registered" I would be interested in any details of that long story that may be pertinent to my using this hosta in my breeding progam. I try to gather as much information and background on plants that I start with. One of the reasons that I find it disappointing when I see unknown or H. "X" x unknown listed for parentage of newly registered hostas.

Hosta Registry - http://hostaregistrar.org/detail.php?id=3856&Variety=Oshima%20Silk
MyHostas - http://myhostas.be/db/hostas/Oshima+Silk
Hosta Library - http://www.hostalibrary.org/o/oshimasilk.html
waldo

USDA Zone: 6a

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: Question about Hosta 'Oshima Silk' parentage

Postby Chris_W » Jun 27, 2017 8:46 am

Hi Waldo,

Hosta 'Oshima Silk' is registered as a white edged seedling of Hosta pycnophylla by Mark Zilis/Q & Z Nursery that Mark acquired in Japan. The picture Mark used for marketing in the catalog and on the plant tags is this one:

oshima-silk-zilis.jpg

Clearly that is completely different from the plant that was actually introduced in tissue culture, which is this one:

Hosta-Oshima-Silk-flowers.jpg

For a while Mark insisted that the plant in tissue culture was the same as the first one pictured. I kept bugging them about it, wanting to know what in the world we were actually growing, and eventually Mark relented that the plant known as Oshima Silk out of tissue culture is not the same as what was registered. It was brought back from Japan and they don't have any idea what this is, or how it originated.

So unfortunately what is now sold as Hosta 'Oshima Silk' has absolutely no relationship to the plant that was registered as such. It clearly is not related to Hosta pycnophylla and the registration should be corrected to simply be unknown parentage.

Wish I could help more, but that's a bit more of the story.

Chris
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Chris_W
Administrator

USDA Zone: 5

Postby Tigger » Jun 27, 2017 11:04 am

Wow. I didn't know this but do like "our" 'Oshima Silk'. This is a worse mess than Geisha/Ani Machi.

David
Tigger

USDA Zone: 6b - 7a

Postby waldo » Jun 28, 2017 5:06 pm

Thanks Chris, that is very helpful. It doesn't mean that I won't use it in my breeding plan, but it will help me to make correct decisions on what direction I go.
waldo

USDA Zone: 6a

Postby redcrx » Jul 01, 2017 4:17 am

Oshima Silk that I got from Chris this season.

Oshima Silk 17 1732.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Ed McHugh, Sicklerville NJ
ImageMockingbird feeding juvenile yellow raisons - never leave home without them.
redcrx

USDA Zone: 6b

Postby redcrx » Jul 26, 2017 7:44 am

Here are some flower photos from yesterday.
A little bit of a "bell" shape:
Oshima Silk 17 3123b.jpg

Roughly straight-on:
Oshima Silk 17 3125b.jpg

and a little angle:
Oshima Silk 17 3126b.jpg
Ed McHugh, Sicklerville NJ
ImageMockingbird feeding juvenile yellow raisons - never leave home without them.
redcrx

USDA Zone: 6b

Return to Hosta Forum