Daily Hosta - 'Rhino Gold'

Talk about hostas, hostas, and more hostas! Companion plant topics should be posted in the Shade Garden forum.

Moderators: ViolaAnn, Chris_W, redcrx

Postby Pieter » Aug 13, 2017 1:51 pm

Don Rawson was kind enough to share a 2 shoot division of 'Rhino Gold' with me last year. Unlike 'Rhino Hide' this one apparently is a diploid, not a tetraploid, and Don has his doubts about its garden worthiness and doesn't think it'll go into production. It's a slow grower, like 'Rhino Hide', and it simply fattened up to a more substantial 2 shoot plant this spring. Here it is in early May, still quite green.

Resize of P1150191_rhinogold.JPG

Due to a lack of room I have it planted in a 5 gallon pot which is situated directly below another 5 gallon pot with an 'Abiqua Drinking Gourd' in it. I cannot help but wonder about the relationship somewhere along the line, very similar leaf size, texture and substance. In this mid-June picture you can see subject plant starting to lutesce and you see a few of the ADG leaves at the top of the picture.

Resize of P1150676_rhinogold.JPG

The plant didn't flower for me last year but did this year. There was evidence of fasciation on one of the scapes and one of the flowers had a doubling of stamens.

Resize of P7050034_rhinogold_flowers_fasciated.JPG

Pods are developing, should have some seed to sow in the spring :)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Pieter

"Never trust anyone who doesn't have dog hair on their clothes."

Pieter's Hosta List
Pieter

Sponsor

Sponsor

Return to Hosta Forum