What or who ate my tulips?

Use this forum to discuss hardy perennials and bulbs. Full shade plants should go in the shade gardening forum.

Moderator: Chris_W

Postby Midnight Reiter Too » Apr 11, 2007 9:35 pm

They've all been devoured! Do groundhogs eat tulip leaves? Or should I blame the deer?

http://librarianavengers.org/?p=97
Give a Weed an Inch and it’ll Take a Yard
Midnight Reiter Too

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby nanny_56 » Apr 12, 2007 6:36 am

I know rabbits ate mine last year. I was wondering if deer eat them too after I saw 4 deer in my neighbors yard last night????

Claudia
Claudia
"When one tugs at a single thing in nature, he finds it attached to the rest" - John Muir
nanny_56

Location: Putnam County, Indiana Lat. 39* 45' 54.2892" Long. -86* 41' 55.9284''
USDA Zone: 5b

Postby Zee » Apr 12, 2007 7:55 am

Deer definitely eat tulips. Several years I gave several hundred to my sisters. After spending a long time planting them and waiting for them to bloom, the deer came through and in about a half hour ate every single tulip.
Zee
Zee

Postby renaldo75 » Apr 12, 2007 8:20 am

Deer or rabbits - take your pick. [No experience with groundhogs.] If you see any hoof prints in your gardens, then it was most likely deer. Or if a lot were eaten at once - deer.

Unless you've got a herd of hungry bunnies. :o :eek:
GO HAWKEYES!!!

Renaldo's Hosta List
Latitude: 40° 59' 17.6676"; Longitude: -94° 44' 28.014"
renaldo75

OC's yard is fenced in In the back

Postby oldcoot » Apr 12, 2007 11:11 am

to keep the deer out. There are a lot of woods around our house and we do have deer in them. One time OC planted Tulips in the front yard in a little white rock lined bed. They came up, bloomed and were consumed the next day - saw them do it, but it was too late, that is when we had the yard fenced in the back only. They don't seem to bother OC's Iris, but they love Tulips. In the back yard OC has another problem - SQUIRRELS. They dig them up and replant them in weird places, also EAT them. Best luck OC has had with tulips was on his back deck where he can keep an eye out for them. When Pooper DAWG was alive, had no problem, wouldn't let a squirrel within ten feet of the deck. He's gone now and OC lost a LOT of his tulips BEFORE the freeze.

Sorry for your problem, OC knows how frustrating it is to plant something and then have something happen to it....

OC feeling your pain
There may be snow in the garden, but there will always be eternal springtime in the heart of this old gardner - Saying of Old Coot
oldcoot

USDA Zone: 8

Postby Annie » Apr 12, 2007 3:29 pm

Hehe Rabbits got mine last year. This year there are a bunch of stray cats around, and they are gowing, well I don't know about "now". It snowed last night.
If dandelions were hard to grow, they would be most welcome on any lawn. ~Andrew Mason

~~Annie~~
Annie

USDA Zone: 5

Postby Midnight Reiter Too » Apr 12, 2007 5:13 pm

I think I need a cage to put over my tulips next year. :(
Midnight Reiter Too

Postby Mary Ann » Apr 15, 2007 3:14 pm

MR, if rabbits devoured your tulips, they'll be after the hosta next. Break the cycle, make them avoid your yard. Blood meal and Milorganite are deterrents that work for me.
My Hosta List

The Best Things in Life Aren't Things
Mary Ann

Postby Midnight Reiter Too » Apr 16, 2007 3:35 am

I have only two hostas and they haven't bothered them yet, but I'm glad you let me know.
Midnight Reiter Too

Return to Perennials