Kennebrew daylilies in Z6/7?

Use this forum to discuss Hemerocallis (daylilies).

Moderators: Chris_W, John

Postby caliloo » Mar 12, 2006 8:55 am

I am right on the border between z6 and z7. I have heard that Kennebrew daylilies do not do well in the colder zones and I wonder what I might expect from:

Alexa Katheryn
Catcher in the Eye
Copperhead Road (one of DH fav songs... may have to get it for that reason LOL)
Darla Anita
Jerry Nettles
Lies and Lipstick
SC Peach Fringe
SC Tropical Passion

The only one I have ordered so far is Darla Anita. I can't afford any more right now, but if they are unlikely to survive in my area, then I am going to have to take ALL of them off my future wish list.

So what do you think - will these tender beauties live up here?

Thanks
Alexa
Spring - An experience in immortality.
- Henry D. Thoreau
caliloo

USDA Zone: SE PA z6

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby notmartha » Mar 12, 2006 9:39 am

The only one i have from your list is darla and i just got her last fall! she seems to look ok but time will tell if and when she blooms!
Im on the edge of zone 5/6 becuz i live close to lake Huron-Id say a good mulching will help with any of them!

Hope some of the experts stop by with more info
I have been talking (aim)with a grower in VA and he has told me alot of ones i had on my want list wont do good here-so im not going to order them now!
Not going to spend $ to watch it die-been there done that not going back :lol:
notmartha

Kinnebrew

Postby jay dee » Mar 12, 2006 6:48 pm

I grow many Kinnebrew's and have for several years and don't have a problem with any of them. The ones on your list that I have are ALEXA KATHERYN, DARLA ANITA, CATCHER IN THE EYE and currently have JERRY NETTLES in the building in scape but it has not overwintered here yet. I've also order a couple of new intro's from him for spring delivery.

The only plant I have this spring that is a no show is one that was hybridized 15 miles from me. I am in zone 6a and never have snow cover. There is mulch around the plant but I never mulch on top of a plant.

notmartha - what plants are you interested in and won't buy now. Advice from a zone 7 gardener might be iffy. Do you have snow cover? I wouldn't hesitate to try them if I had snow cover through the winter. Around here, it is freeze, thaw, rain, freeze, thaw and on and on. That is harder on a plant than going under and sleeping in the snow.

jay dee
jay dee

Postby caliloo » Mar 12, 2006 8:29 pm

Thanks jaydee!

As I mentioned, I have DARLA ANITA ordered, but I have fallen head over heels for those ripply wide undulating edges. Somehow they remid me of a Botticelli painting with all those curves! :lol: Totally luscious IMHO!

Now all I need to do is find one with a zaftig edge, a multi-tonal lavender/blue eye and shades of ivory and I will mortgage the farm :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Alexa
Spring - An experience in immortality.
- Henry D. Thoreau
caliloo

USDA Zone: SE PA z6

Postby Ed_B » Mar 13, 2006 12:57 am

I grow Darla Anita up here, spotty, but it comes back in zone 4b very fertile
Ed_B

USDA Zone: 4b

Postby toomanyanimals » Mar 13, 2006 8:42 am

Alexa, I love all your choices. I have been looking at Copperhead Road. The picture Kinn. has makes it look great, but with that coloring, I want to see a picture from someones garden b/f I buy it.

I'm like Jaydee, no snow, freeze thaw, I'm zone 5/6 because of Lake Huron (like notmartha). And my daylilies are in my backyard which gets a lot of wind. And Darla Anita last year, its 3rd year here, went nuts. Tons of fans and blooms! I put lots of pods on her last summer, so I'm crossing my fingers I didn't stress her too much. But it looks like all her fans are coming up. Oh, and I don't mulch my Daylilies, too much work. :oops: I paid for that last year though, lost several.

I have SC starburst of KInn., and it has come back. Doesn't appear to have increased though. 2nd year I've had it.

sharon
Be not simply good; be good for something.
Henry David Thoreau
toomanyanimals

USDA Zone: 6a

Kinnebrew

Postby jay dee » Mar 13, 2006 9:50 am

I saw SPACECOAST COPPERHEAD ROAD at Kinnebrew's place last May. If you like big and brown colored, you will like it. John likes it and kept telling me how great it was but finally said it is just not my color. If you are a garden designer, and I'm not, it probably would be gorgeous if you would use it in a yellow color scheme and it would make a great foil for various shade of yellow to gold.

The only reason we mulch is to cut down on weeds, remember I'm old, and to conserve moisture in the soil.

Also with my snake phobia, I could not have a plant marker with that name on it!

jay dee
jay dee

Postby toomanyanimals » Mar 13, 2006 10:19 am

Oh, Jay dee, you had me chuckling into my coffee!
Also with my snake phobia, I could not have a plant marker with that name on it

I never understood the snake phobia. I was an adult before I realized my Mom was scared of snakes. She never let on. All those years of 7 kids bringing home snakes and having her 'Ohhh and Awe' over them ... :eek: she must have been cringing inside. When I asked her why she just never told us, she said she didn't want us to 'learn' to be scared through her. God, she was a great Mom and wise in so many ways!

Ed might want to think about Copperhead Road, he has a lot of yellows. I do have one brown, 'Chocolate Ripples'. Still can't decide if I like it. :oops:

sharon
Be not simply good; be good for something.
Henry David Thoreau
toomanyanimals

USDA Zone: 6a

Postby Ed_B » Mar 13, 2006 12:53 pm

Hi Sharon

I took a look at SC Copperhead Road, it reminds me of that Smugglar's Gold seedling I have. I am not a fan of the muddy colored daylily. So I think I would take a pass on that one.

Now, SC Cool Deal & SC Starburst, that's another story all together.

SC Cool Deal, fertile, but I see a lot of simular flowers in the market now, I would recommend, Light Years Away, Petit for those in the north. The look is about the same but LYA is dormant, very nice plant.

SC Starburst, I had this for 2 years, didn't bloom first year, but last year put on the show & what a show it was! I bred this baby to everthing. I recommend this plant to everyone, very distintive & the edge speaks for itself.

I do not have a picture of SC Cool Deal for a comparison look, sorry. I have a picture of most everything else, so i don't know what happened.
Ed_B

USDA Zone: 4b

Return to Daylily Forum