Toy Soldier virused

Discuss Hosta Virus X and share pictures and information on this ever increasing threat to hosta growing.

Moderators: Chris_W, redcrx

Toy Soldier virused

Postby redcrx » Jun 06, 2015 1:13 pm

I went out today to look in my troughs for a couple of plants to put in the ground. One of the troughs has Toy Soldier on both ends and a Sugar Babe in the middle. I wanted to get the Sugar Babe and put it in the garden. The Sugar Babe is missing and both ends of the trough have these really nice Toy Soldier plants. Then I notice in the center is one small odd leaf hanging out with the telltale vein bleeding. Darn - this trough was planted back in 2011 or 2012. Now I have to throw the whole trough out.
Here is the trough at the end of the 2012 season.
t33 Sugarbabe 12 06999.JPG

Here is one small piece of Toy Soldier in the middle of the trough.
Toy Soldier 15 01328.JPG

Toy Soldier 15 01329.JPG

Toy Soldier 15 01330.JPG

Toy Soldier 15 01331.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Ed McHugh, Sicklerville NJ
ImageMockingbird feeding juvenile yellow raisons - never leave home without them.
redcrx

USDA Zone: 6b

Toy Soldier virused

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: Toy Soldier virused

Postby Carol O » Jun 06, 2015 2:22 pm

That is so sad. I had to throw out a Gold Standard, Yellow Splash Rim and Undulata Albomarginata this spring all because they had the virus. They were all planted next to each other in a new bed several years ago.
Carol O

USDA Zone: 4

Re: Toy Soldier virused

Postby redcrx » Jun 06, 2015 7:52 pm

Here's what I was looking at - both ends look fine. It's just that one little plant in the middle.
Toy Soldier 15 01333.JPG

Toy Soldier 15 01334.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Ed McHugh, Sicklerville NJ
ImageMockingbird feeding juvenile yellow raisons - never leave home without them.
redcrx

USDA Zone: 6b

Return to Hosta Virus X Forum