Do these plants look infected?

Discuss Hosta Virus X and share pictures and information on this ever increasing threat to hosta growing.

Moderators: Chris_W, redcrx

Postby Rivertoad » Jun 11, 2017 10:43 am

Hello, I have a young hosta garden, about two years old and 50ish plants. Our new home has primarily full sun, so my hosta are in the spot with the most shade, however I do see sun damage on several. I've done a full check of my plants, none appear to be obviously infected with virus x, but I am suspicious of a few. Any additional opinions are appreciated. I think the photos are of guacamole, sum and substance and an unknown (not in order).
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Rivertoad

USDA Zone: 5

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: Do these plants look infected?

Postby Chris_W » Jun 12, 2017 6:20 pm

The third picture has some strange coloring along the veins, but it is really hard to see as the lighting is a bit too bright. The others I don't really see anything unusual, other than a back leaf in the first picture that is pretty splotched but might be cold damage.

Any chance of getting a better picture of the 3rd one that isn't in such bright light?
Chris_W
Administrator

Postby Rivertoad » Jun 12, 2017 9:07 pm

Thanks Chris, I think this photo is of the same plant...I snapped quite a few and it was not the best time of day for lighting/shadows. I have shared/traded/divided quite a few hosta and that is what has me a bit paranoid. The other photo is a hosta I'm not suspicious of, but it's a mess. I got that one from a hosta exchange last year and I think it's unstable, leaves are not uniform, etc. That doesn't look like a virus though, or does it? There was a broken ID tag with it. I can only read the last letter, which is a "g". Hopefully it is just an unstable/unhappy plant and not sick. I appreciate your response!
Abby
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Rivertoad

Postby Tigger » Jun 12, 2017 9:46 pm

I'm not seeing any problems. Your last plant seems to be a streaker that is settling out in various variegation patterns. What was it supposed to be?

David
Tigger

USDA Zone: 6b - 7a

Postby Rivertoad » Jun 12, 2017 10:13 pm

I can't remember David! ☹️ There was an ID tag with it, but it was broken and all I know now is that the name ends in the letter "g". I will ask my local hosta society if they know, I got it through their exchange last year so there's a good chance the original owner may recognize it. I hope you are right and it isn't sick!
Thanks, Abby
Rivertoad

Postby Tigger » Jun 13, 2017 9:54 am

Well, _____g could always be "seedling" (of a streaked plant)! Not much help. :D
Tigger

USDA Zone: 6b - 7a

Return to Hosta Virus X Forum