Crystal Chimes

Talk about hostas, hostas, and more hostas! Companion plant topics should be posted in the Shade Garden forum.

Moderators: ViolaAnn, Chris_W, redcrx

Crystal Chimes

Postby redcrx » Aug 19, 2012 6:55 pm

I have been trying to grow Crystal Chimes for a few years because I wanted a white "spidery" shaped flower. (Chris had sent me Blue Haired Lady as a bonus and it puts out a very similar flower so I don't know why I bother but I do.) I had a horrible problem in the garden it was planted in last season - it was a new garden and it got overrun by tree roots and nothing was growing. I had to dig everything out. I got the idea to put them in troughs as a temporary measure. That turned out to be pretty easy so now I have a lot of troughs around. One problem is some plants get big quickly and need to be moved to pots or put in the ground. Crystal Chimes is a tiny plant (at least for me). It flowered for me a couple of days ago and thought I would post some pictures.

Registry - http://www.hostaregistrar.org/detail.ph ... l%20Chimes
MyHostas - http://myhostas.be/db/hostas/Crystal+Chimes
Hosta Library - http://www.hostalibrary.org/c/crystalchimes.html

t21 Crystal Chimes 12 05124zbz60.jpg

t21 Crystal Chimes 12 05121zbz70.jpg

t21 Crystal Chimes f 12 05123zb.JPG

t21 Crystal Chimes f 12 05125zb.JPG

This last shot shows the plants yingeri heritage where it has two different size stamen - three long and three short.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Ed McHugh, Sicklerville NJ
ImageMockingbird feeding juvenile yellow raisons - never leave home without them.
redcrx

USDA Zone: 6b

Crystal Chimes

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: Crystal Chimes

Postby Chris_W » Aug 19, 2012 7:54 pm

I looked it up in the hosta library and it is a nice flower but not much of a plant. It is funny because I have lots of seedlings around here where the flowers and/or dark scapes are spectacular and then you look down and it is just a plain green, kind of like this one, and I still like them a lot for their flowers :)
Chris_W
Administrator

USDA Zone: 5

Postby Linda P » Aug 19, 2012 9:17 pm

Ditto, Chris! I even found a little plain jane green one with nice white flowers this year (probably a seedling of Snowflakes) and decided to keep it for a while.
I had not heard of Crystal Chimes. Interesting, to see a white yingeri-type flower.
And time remembered is grief forgotten,
And frosts are slain and flowers begotten.....
Algernon Charles Swinburne

Latitude: 41° 51' 12.1572"

My Hosta List
Linda P

Postby redcrx » Aug 20, 2012 1:15 pm

I posted it to show something a little different. I feel like I'm repeating myself when I show 9 different Moonlight look-a-likes or 7 different Risky Business look-a-likes.
Ed McHugh, Sicklerville NJ
ImageMockingbird feeding juvenile yellow raisons - never leave home without them.
redcrx

USDA Zone: 6b

Postby Chris_W » Aug 20, 2012 7:38 pm

Thanks for sharing Ed. Like I said, I enjoy the flowers even if it is just a green one, and it isn't one I've heard of before :D
Chris_W
Administrator

USDA Zone: 5

Return to Hosta Forum