Hosta of the Day - Naked Lady

Talk about hostas, hostas, and more hostas! Companion plant topics should be posted in the Shade Garden forum.

Moderators: ViolaAnn, Chris_W, redcrx

Postby redcrx » Jan 14, 2013 6:24 pm

Naked Lady is a sport of Gypsy Rose. Similar to some others in the Striptease line like Hanky Panky and Juha in that its center and edge colors change markedly through the season.

Hosta Registry - not registered
MyHostas - http://myhostas.be/db/hostas/Naked+Lady
Hosta Library - http://www.hostalibrary.org/n/nakedlady.html

Some archived references:
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=53339#p465373
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=54009
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=52462

Naked Lady 11 1507zbz21-6-27.jpg

Naked Lady 11 0858.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Ed McHugh, Sicklerville NJ
ImageMockingbird feeding juvenile yellow raisons - never leave home without them.
redcrx

USDA Zone: 6b

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: Hosta of the Day - Naked Lady

Postby redcrx » Jun 01, 2014 4:27 pm

Here is Naked Lady this weekend:
Naked Lady 14 05874zbz28-5-30.jpg

Here it is in a cluster with other relatives of Striptease -
Naked Lady is bottom/right, Juha is bottom/left, Cabaret is top/left with Obscene Gesture top/right.
These plants change colors throughout the season. Cabaret looks the same as Naked Lady this time of year. Juha is a lot more variable and only has a couple of leaves that look like Naked Lady.
Striptease sports white edge 14 05872zbz20-5-30.jpg

I found another family member with some similar leaves today. Here is Outer Space looking more variable like Juha.
Outer Space 14 00061zbz24-6-1.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ImageMockingbird feeding juvenile yellow raisons - never leave home without them.
redcrx

Postby redcrx » Jul 21, 2015 9:28 pm

Naked Lady today with small Obscene Gesture (vole damage) on the right.
Naked Lady & Obscene Gesture 15 03551.JPG
redcrx

Postby redcrx » Jul 26, 2016 5:06 pm

I put a Naked Lady into one of my Striptease groups today. I had one in this group when it was setup (2009) but lost it awhile back. So I'm trying it again but on the other side of the formation.
I have shown this grouping here many times - with Cabaret and Hanky Panky the dominant featured plants.
Naked Lady is to the left of Cabaret with Outer Space to the left of Hanky Panky. The White Bikini is starting to get big and will probably dominate in a couple of years. At the center/top is a Yellow Polka Dot Bikini that's acting strange this season.
scene Naked Lady 16 03399.JPG
redcrx

Postby redcrx » Jun 04, 2017 7:09 pm

Here is the Naked Lady today - the same one as above. That's Cabaret on the right with Hanky Panky in the top/right corner. On the left is a pot of Kiwi Dotterel that I'm adding to this space.
Naked Lady 17 0484.jpg

Naked Lady 17 0485.jpg

I added a second one to my front garden last season that gets a lot of sun. It's putting up an early scape.
That's Lemon Frost on the left and Fragrant Bouquet top/left.

Naked Lady 17 0474 - Copy.jpg

Naked Lady 17 0477.jpg

Naked Lady 17 0476 - Copy.jpg
redcrx

Postby redcrx » Jun 16, 2017 9:17 am

Naked Lady with the flower opened.
Naked Lady 17 f 1234.jpg

And in the grouping with Red October on the right, Fragrant Bouquet center, Lemon Frost in flower left/center.
Naked Lady 17 1231.jpg
redcrx

Postby redcrx » Aug 06, 2017 7:37 am

Naked Lady with color change:
Naked Lady 17 4438.jpg
redcrx

Postby redcrx » Sep 18, 2017 9:58 am

Naked Lady is putting up a late scape - on the right is a "montana wild variegated" I got from Barry Yinger's Asiatica Nursery in 2010. I have posted it before in the Kaleidochrome topic - viewtopic.php?f=1&t=56750
It has a late scape also. This plant was in my back garden for a few years then I moved it to a pot to keep the voles off it. This season I put it in the ground again and it seems to like this spot.
Naked Lady 17 8685.jpg

Naked Lady 17 8687.jpg

Naked Lady 17 8688.jpg

"montana wild variegated" from Barry Yinger's Asiatica Nursery:
montana wild variegated 17 8689.jpg

montana wild variegated 17 8691.jpg
redcrx

Return to Hosta Forum