HVX test strips

Discuss Hosta Virus X and share pictures and information on this ever increasing threat to hosta growing.

Moderator: Chris_W

HVX test strips

Postby chelielynn » May 22, 2008 11:13 am

The hosta library is showing an HVX Test strip. Has anyone used these?

http://www.agdia.com/hosta/hostapage.html

Thanks,
Shelly
chelielynn

HVX test strips

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby Chris_W » May 22, 2008 10:04 pm

Hi,

I got some to try out and they are easy to use, just follow a few simple steps. I'll probably send some plants out for testing as a comparison, just to be sure. At least they should act as a double check/confirmation if you see symptoms on a plant, but if there are no symptoms I don't know what the lower threshold is to give you a positive.
Chris_W
Administrator

USDA Zone: 5

Postby chelielynn » May 23, 2008 7:32 am

That's kind of what I was wondering. There's just two I would really like to test just to be sure. I've got most of mine at nurseries where HVX is talked about but if I remember correctly finding a clean source for Halycon has proven difficult. Just wanted to be a little pro-active.
chelielynn

Postby kontyx » May 23, 2008 9:39 am

Hello Shelly and everyone else. I work for Agdia (the company that has developed the HVX test strip) and would be happy to answer any questions that you might have. This is one of the most informative forums I have seen on the net and I would love to contribute to it anyway I can.
- Steve Lutes
-----------------
kontyx

Postby chelielynn » May 23, 2008 11:03 am

Hi Steve,

Thanks for posting first of all, a company watching the forums makes customer service a high priority. I was looking over your site but couldn't find anything on false positive rates or accuracy of the tests. Do you have any white papers that I missed that can be reviewed? Also Chris was wonder about plants that weren't showing symptoms, which is the reason that I am looking at these tests. Any of this information would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Shelly
chelielynn

Postby kontyx » May 23, 2008 12:25 pm

Hello Shelly,
Thank you for your question. As far as the accuracy of the test, it has a greater than 99% correlation with ELISA. All 252 leaf samples and 248 root samples that were used in the validation were pre-screened with ELISA and run in duplicate with the HVX test strip. There were two samples (one duplicate sample) that did not initially match with the Elisa results but when retested with another strip it did confirm. It is believed that the reason for this was user error on the first attempt. In regards to testing plants with no symptoms, Hosta virus X is a Potexvirus. That fact being said, it is bad for the plant but good for the test. This Potexvirus, HVX tends to be distributed throughout the infected plant and tends to reach fairly high levels as well. It is pretty well known that an HVX infection can remain asymptomatic years but as long as the virus is present, the strip should have no problem picking it up.
- Steve Lutes
-----------------
kontyx

Postby chelielynn » May 23, 2008 12:59 pm

Thanks for the information Steve. This gives me good information to work off of.

Thanks,
Shelly
chelielynn

Postby kontyx » May 23, 2008 1:03 pm

You are very welcome and it is nice to talk to you.
- Steve Lutes
-----------------
kontyx

Postby kontyx » Jun 09, 2008 11:52 am

Im very excited and feeling the anticipation of leaving tomorrow to head out to St. Louis!!! This will be my first time going to St. Louis so Im even more excited. I will be running a booth at the convention to promote and demonstrate the HVX test strip so come on over and say hello. It will be nice to finally meet people in person :D
- Steve Lutes
-----------------
kontyx

Postby JoshS » Jun 09, 2008 3:08 pm

Will you have strips available for sale in St. Louis, Steve?
JoshS

USDA Zone: 4

Postby thy » Jun 10, 2008 5:41 pm

Need those too... so where and when :-?
Against stupidity the gods themselves struggle in vain.
E-mail for pics hostapics@gmail.com
thy

USDA Zone: 7

Re: HVX test strips

Postby jessicasteven » Jan 31, 2009 6:08 am

Where does one go to purchase test strips without insurance? I don't understand if you can buy over the counter lancets but not strips. Please advise.
jessicasteven

USDA Zone: 5

Re: HVX test strips

Postby Lessadragon » Jan 31, 2009 5:31 pm

The kits are available through Agdia. Here is the web address:

http://www.agdia.com/cgi_bin/catalog.cg ... 600%2F0005

Lynn
Lessadragon

USDA Zone: 5b

Return to Hosta Virus X Forum